Smith-Burke Park

Smith-Burke ParkCIRCA-1858, after tracks were laid through California, The Missouri Pacific Railroad built the Central Hotel to house railroad employees and then passengers. Later, Dr. J.P. Burke, a local doctor who practiced medicine in California for almost 50 years, purchased the property and resided in the structure along with his family, which maintained residency until 1968.

The property was purchased in 1990 by California Progress Inc., a non-profit corporation dedicated to the betterment of California, Missouri, in order to build a park in memory of the Central Hotel and Dr.J.P. Burke for the contributions each made to the community.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.